JSR Strategies created SMART goals to ensure that multiple objectives were met with the campaign.
- SMART – Specific – Encourage all Southeast residents to register for their COVID-19 vaccinations.
- SMART – Measurable – Get 50% of SEARHC’s population to register for the vaccine.
- SMART – Achievable – It was unclear if this goal was achievable, due to limited information about the availability of vaccine supplies in 2021. However, sometimes goals are challenging, and JSR utilized a strong paid digital and traditional plan to accompany efforts.
- SMART – Relevant – COVID-19 was SEARHC’s responsibility to solve, as the leading (and often only) healthcare organization in the region.
- SMART– Time-Bound – It was essential that a large portion of Southeast Alaskan residents become vaccinated in time for tourist season, which would begin in May 2021.
To encourage community action without using vaccine-specific language in a typically anti-vaccine community, the campaign’s key message was Be Part of the Solution. This umbrella allowed JSR to push messages about safety, distancing, masking, cleanliness and vaccines – with a focus on encouraging social sharing of vaccines.
JSR launched a multi-channel campaign to educate the public (ages 16+) about the vaccines, including print, radio, organic social, paid social, flyers, stickers and phone calls.
A COVID-19 webpage on SEARHC’s website provided regularly updated key information. Its URL, covid19.searhc.org, was widely promoted through press releases, press briefings and subsequent media coverage, social media, waiting room screens, newsprint ads and the channels of partner organizations. Patients received vaccine fact sheets with FAQs, which were also adapted for the web page.
Encourage Social Sharing
Be Part of the Solution handouts solicited individual testimonials about why they were vaccinated, and these were shared on social media. Social media, newsprint ads and press coverage helped keep the issue top of mind for local communities.
83,367 impressions and
On COVID-19 Social Posts Over Five Weeks